We are passionate about sport and competition.
Competitive sport develops a range of life skills which can support young people as they progress through school and into adult life. Everything from the benefits of teamwork, resilience and leadership skills, to the respect and humility in handling success or disappointment.
Our staff have worked hard this year to ensure that more children take part in more sporting events and to increase the competitiveness of our teams at these events whilst maintaining our high standards of sportsmanship. Without exception, all of the children who have taken part are a real credit to the school and we are so proud of their achievements. There is a real feeling of pride around the school with children now requesting to take part in sporting ventures or asking me when the next opportunities will be and that is wonderful! Without fail they are giving it their all, wanting to improve and are supporting one another in their teams. We are very proud to take them to these events and look forward to the rest of the sporting season!
In addition to the team of staff and children going to these events, can I also take the opportunity to thank parents and carers for transporting the children (and cheering us on) all over the place at various times of the day and even at weekends. Without you our sporting ventures would simply not be possible.
Sporting highlights 2018
1. KS2 Olympiad Overall Winners 2018 - athletics
2. Quad kids athletics inter county level 3 winners 2018 (the best team from South Glos, BANES, Bristol and North Somerset)
3. Year 5-6 tennis inter county level 3 bronze medalists 2018
4. Inter county girls cricket runners up 2018
5. Inter county Y3-4 cricket runners up 2018
6. Festival of Youth Sport Athletics winners (girls) 2018 and runners up (boys) 2018
7. Year 4 girls South Glos Cross Country Champions 2018
8. CSET cross country league runners up 2018 (girls' and boys' teams)
9. CSET Hockey champions 2018 and inter county level 3 5th placed team
10. Sportshall athletics level 3 inter county bronze medalists 2018
11. Tag rugby team 2018
12. Team Bath Netball training 2018
13. Level 3 Archery Inter county winners 2018
14. Football teams 2018
PARTICPATION IN SPORTING COMPETITION 2018
Sporting competitions are split into 3 different levels.
Level 1 – internal competitions within school
Level 2 – inter school competitions
Level 3- Inter county competitions
This year our school participation looks like this:
Level 1 – Every pupil in the school
Level 2 – 272 pupils
Level 3 – 68 pupils
Through a new ‘Sport Premium’ the Government is providing £150 million in each of the next two years to support the delivery of PE and sport in primary schools.
This funding will be ring fenced, and will be allocated directly to primary schools across England, providing them with a dedicated resource to buy in invaluable expertise and support. Funding will be allocated through a lump sum for each school and a per-pupil top-up mechanism. The formula will reference the number of primary-aged pupils (i.e. children between the ages of 5 and 11). All schools with seventeen or more primary-aged pupils will receive a lump sum of £8,000 plus a premium of £5 per pupil.
Please read the document below which details how we spend this money at Mangotsfield and the impacts this has for our pupils: